Tuesday, February 8, 2011

11.11

Proverbs 16:9 (NLT)
We can make our plans,
but the Lord determines our steps.

Whenever I see 11:11 on the clock (which tends to be pretty often) I am reminded of a word God spoke to me several years ago after seeking out the reason I was seeing elevens everywhere. He said, in a voice quite not to be mistaken, You are not ready for what I am about to do. And thus followed the most incredible chain of events my 20-some years had ever seen. Boy howdy!

Fast forward about five years...

This morning as I was planning all these steps in my mind to get us moved, and then all the steps that would follow finally setting foot on NC soil, I looked at the clock and, as I once again saw 11:11, heard so clearly, You are not ready for what I am about to do. It was not a rebuke. Not a "pay attention, kid." Not even a fanfare heralding the entrance of a Wonder. No, there was a twinkle. A hint of a smile. A teasing.

And I realized, here I am (albeit using the God-given gifts of administration and planning that I possess), trying my hardest to map out every minute of the next few months so that nothing can take me by surprise. No way do I want to be caught unawares! And yet the whole beautiful mess is that I can plan all I want, but my steps are absolutely directed by YHWH YHWH God. And that should excite me!

Isaiah 40:12-14
(NLT)
The Lord Has No Equal
Who else has held the oceans in his hand?
Who has measured off the heavens with his fingers?
Who else knows the weight of the earth
or has weighed the mountains and hills on a scale?
Who is able to advise the Spirit of the Lord?
Who knows enough to give him advice or teach him?
Has the Lord ever needed anyone’s advice?
Does he need instruction about what is good?

It's laughable, really. That I would think I need to advise the God that created me and mapped out my entire life, that I would need to remind Him of this or that...just in case He would forget some important detail!

I would be terribly embarrassed if we weren't enjoying the absurdity of it all together, Him and I.

Oh goodness.

So, I really am not ready for what He is about to do, but I want to be. Spirit of God, make me one who is waiting and watching and aware of Your every move in order to move with You.

And thank You, again, for the reminder.

r.

Also posted here

No comments:

Post a Comment